HAUTE COFFEE CHILI PART DUEX
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 1 packet Java Juice® liquid coffee extract
- added to
- 1 cup of purified water
- 2 tbsp good olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion, set half cup aside for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 lbs. top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomato puree or crushed peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup kosher beef broth
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
In a mixing bowl, cover the red beans with 3/4-cup Java Juice coffee. Soak overnight.
In a deep casserole, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the onion and garlic over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Set them to one side, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, and brown the steak cubes. Add the remaining 1/4-cup of coffee, spices and tomatoes to the casserole. Bring to a boil, stir well, and allow simmering for 10 minutes. Add the beef broth and the drained beans to the casserole and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Season with salt.
To serve, ladle the chili into individual bowls and top grated raw Bermuda onion sprigs of cilantro.