- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThis recipe is from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook and it was the first thing I tried from it. It's a chocolate hazelnut recipe for cupcakes. It is so delicious! It has a dollop of nutella in the centre, the cake is wonderfully moist and light and the icing is just perfect.
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g butter, at room temp.
- 120ml milk (the recipe said whole milk, but I just used semi and they turned out okay!)
- 1 egg
- 120g nutella
- chopped hazelnuts to decorate
- For the icing
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g butter, at room temp
- 25 ml milk
- 80g nutella
- Preheat the oven to gas 3/170c/325f
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix together. You can use an electric hand whisk for this. It should be a slightly sandy/grainy texture
- Pour the milk into the mixture and mix. Then add the egg and beat until it's all incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into cupcakes cases in a muffin tin, filling to about halfway or 2/3 full. They rise quite a bit. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely, then cut out a little circle in the cupcake. Pop the loose piece of cake out, insert a dollop of nutella, then put the cake piece back ontop so you have a filled cupcake.
- For the icing:
- Mix all the above ingredients together until incorporated and continue mixing for about 5 minutes. The more mixing, the fluffier the icing! Use a palette knife to ice the cupcakes, then sprinkle with a bit of chopped hazelnut. Enjoy! (I did, as you can see!)
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Ginger White Chocolate And Brandy Pumpkin Mousse
Apple Honey Custard Pie
Tortellini CarbonaraSee More