- Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 4 eggs
- 250 g sugar (I actually reduced the original 300 to 250, but might even go down to 200)
- 200 g flour
- 100 g ground hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tblspoon cornstarch
- 1 lemon juice
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar until creamy, add 10 tblspoons of cold water (one at a time).
- With a woden spoon fold in the dry ingredients - flour and cornstarch sifted together with baking powder, and hazelnuts.
- In the end add the egg whites and lemon juice, always mixing gently with a wooden spoon.
- Bake in a greased and floured cake form for about 30-35 minutes in an oven preheated to 180°C. Do not open the oven during the first 25 minutes or the cake might "sink" in the middle. I always do the toothpick check. before taking the cake out of the oven.
- Let the cake cool completely before decorating it with your favourite buttercream or other filling/frosting.
NotesI have no idea why it's called Miracle cake, and have no idea where I copied the recipe from, probably from my aunt and probably long time ago. But I'm glad I have, because this weekend I used this recipe for my daughter's birthday cake and I really liked it, but then hazelnuts are my favourite nuts, especially when toasted, because their flavour becomes more intense. And for this cake I toasted them in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes, at 200°C.
I cut the baked cake in two horizontally and filled it with hazelnut buttercream, and then covered it with MMF.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Gluten-Free and Delicious
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More