- Cooking Time: 35-50
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 frozen pie crust (sometimes these are made with lard! if you are a vegetarian, be sure to avoid that)
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. fat free greek yogurt (i use fage brand)
- 2/3 c. milk
- ~2/3 c. cheese of your choice
- ~1 c. vegetable(s) of your choice
- spices (corresponding with your vegetable & cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare all of your ingredients. Chop or sautee the vegetables, grate the cheese, & get all of the dairy out of the refrigerator.
- Layer your vegetable on the bottom of the pie crust, then layer half of the cheese on top of the vegetables.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, and milk. Whisk until combined, add spices, and whisk quickly again.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables & cheese.
- Put the remaining cheese on top.
- Carefully move to the oven and cook 35-50 minutes until firmed up. If it ripples like a pond it is not ready; it should not be wiggly in the center
NotesI wanted to make a healthier version of a traditional quiche for a picnic, and I decided to use Greek yogurt to add creaminess and flavor without sacrificing the great texture and egg flavor that I love about quiche.
The best thing about this recipe is that it is a basic formula for a quiche that doesn't sit as heavy in your stomach (or arteries). You can choose whatever vegetables are in season, in your crisper, or in your freezer.
My favorite vegetables to use are broccoli florets & sauteed red onions. I pair those with cheddar and some oregano. I just made this quiche with acorn squash, onions, romano, smoked paprika, and bouquet garni, which was great for the winter.
I hope you enjoy customizing this recipe!