- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 1 loaf
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 of 1 stick)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (can sub. sour cream)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 over-ripened bananas
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- rolled oats to sprinkle on top if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon with a fork until well blended.
- Melt butter in microwave for 40 seconds. In a large bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. In a separate bowl or mixing cup, mash bananas one at a time, making sure there are still some chunks left.
- Add mashed bananas to large bowl by carefully stirring in. Add flour 1/4th at a time and slowly mix in. Do not overstir. Add 1 tbsp milk to help mixing flour in. The mixture should be wet, but not runny. When all the flour is mixed in, add walnuts. Scrape with a spatula into a greased 9X5 inch loaf pan.
- Spread mixture evenly so top is fairly flat, then sprinkle oats over the top if desired. Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour. Check at 50 minutes by inserting a toothpick or butterknife to see if still comes out wet. If comes out dry, it is done! Do not over-bake or it will be dry. Take out of oven and let sit 10 minutes in loaf pan before taking out. After 10 minutes, use a butterknife to loosen banana bread from pan from each of the 4 sides. Turn over onto cooling rack, and let cool to room temperature. You can serve while still warm (I always do because I can’t wait to have some!), but it might fall apart if it is not cooled enough.
NotesI usually look for ways to make recipes healthier, and it is sometimes hard to get them to taste as delicious as the original. After trial and error, I tweaked a few banana bread recipes to come up with this one. It is a little healthier than standard banana bread recipes (less sugar and butter), but is just as moist and still tastes like true banana bread should! Serve with butter and a glass of cold milk. Warning: For those who like banana bread really sweet, add 1/2 cup granulated sugar to this recipe.