- Cooking Time: 30-35
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. reduced fat margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1. c. flour
- ½ c. quick oats
- ½ c. crushed whole grain cereal (e.g., Fiber One)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a 9x5 bread pan with cooking spray.
- Cream sugar and margarine till fluffy.
- Add egg, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds.
- Spread in pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing.
NotesI adapted this recipe from an AARP version, making it more healthy. My kids love it for breakfast, topped with warm cinnamon applesauce and vanilla yogurt. I keep a batch in the freezer (already sliced so it's easy to take out only what you need) and it's great when you need something quick.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Cooking with Sabra
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More