- Cooking Time: 25
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a great muffin recipe that just happens to be healthy. It
makes a cake-like, delicate muffin. Sometimes I add sliced almonds.
- 1½ cups chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup shortening
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whatever flour you have)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the chopped cranberries and white sugar. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 45 min-1 hour.
- In a large bowl, mix the shortening, brown sugar, and egg.
- Stir the baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour together.
- Then add the dry mixture into the wet, alternating with additions of the oat-buttermilk mixture.
- Combine everything until just moistened.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.