- Cooking Time: 25
- Preparation Time:
- 1½ cups chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup shortening
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whatever flour you have)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the chopped cranberries and white sugar. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 45 min-1 hour.
- In a large bowl, mix the shortening, brown sugar, and egg.
- Stir the baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour together.
- Then add the dry mixture into the wet, alternating with additions of the oat-buttermilk mixture.
- Combine everything until just moistened.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
NotesThis is a great muffin recipe that just happens to be healthy. It
makes a cake-like, delicate muffin. Sometimes I add sliced almonds.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More