- Cooking Time: 24 to 25 minutes
- Servings: 12 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 2 whole fresh chickens, 2 1/2 pounds each, cut into 6 pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional) freshly ground pepper, paprika
- 1 small onion, 4 ounces cut in half and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Trim away any visible fat from the chicken; remove and discard the skin. Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Place the chicken pieces in a nonreactive baking pan, sprinkle with the garlic, and toss to coat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and a generous sprinkling of paprika.
- 2. Top with the onions.
- 3. Drizzle the orange juice over the chicken and sprinkle on the zest. Add the parsley and toss again. Drizzle with olive oil and again toss to coat the chicken.
- 4. Cover and refrigerate the chicken overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- 5. Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Grill or broil the chicken for about 12 minutes per side, turning once, until juices run clear when the chicken flesh is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- 6. Serve the chicken hot off the grill or grill ahead and serve the chicken cold.
- Per serving: 119 calories (53% calories from fat), 13 g protein, 7 g total fat (1.8 g saturated fat), trace carbohydrate, 0 dietary fiber, 42 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 2 lean protein (meat)
- Note: For a chicken dish like this, it pays to spend the extra money for free-range or natural chickens. The taste is incomparable to commercially raised chickens.
NotesAdapted from The Buffet Book
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More