HEALTHY SPAGHETTI WITH GROUND TURKEY
- 1-1 1/4 lbs ground chuck
- 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce (can use lower sodium sauce if desired)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1-2 shallots or 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2-3 bay leaves
- dash of cinnamon
- S & P to taste
- 2 oz. red wine (optional)
- Spaghetti (or your favorite pasta)
- Grated fresh romano or parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In a large frying pan, brown the meat, stirring occasionally. When browned, remove grease and season meat with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Keep the meat in the pan, if pan is too dry after this step, add a little wine to deglaze the pan and add a little moisture. If you donâ€™t want to add wine and itâ€™s too dry, you could add a little water at this point.
3. Add the shallot or onion, for a stronger onion flavor use white onion â€“ for a less strong onion taste use the shallot.
4. Saute onion for a couple of minutes, add the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. Season again with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano and bay leaves. Simmer covered for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. In a large pot, heat cold water to boiling and add the pasta. Cook until done, according to instructions.
7. Serve sauce over pasta, at the table you can have grated cheese to put over your spaghetti if you want, as well as salad and bread. Enjoy!