- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. citrus zest (I used lime...anything would be good really, and certain citrus pairs better with certain berries)
- 2/3 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1.5 cups berries of your choice, fresh or frozen (not thawed)
- Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the whole wheat and all purpose flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, beat the egg with the sugar until smooth. Mix in the vanilla, oil, zest, applesauce and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold the berries into the mixture. Don't overmix the batter. Your muffins could become tough and the batter may start turning colors from overworking the batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin and bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
The Naked MacaronSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More