- Cooking Time: 8-10
- Servings: 3 dozen
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pink food coloring
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. In a large bowl, using a mixer on high, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. On low speed, add in flour mixture until a dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; chill for 2 hours.
- Divide dough into 4 equal sections. Using pink food coloring, tint one section light pink; tint another section dark pink. Knead melted chocolate into another section; leave the last section plain. Shape each section into a ball; wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill dough until firm.
- Preheat over to 350. Line several baking sheets with foil. On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough ball into a 1/4-inch thickness. Using various sized heart shaped cookie cutters, cut out hearts. Transfer to prepared baking sheets.
- In some of the larger heart shapes, use the smallest heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out centers. Using the tip of a knife, gently lift the centers out. Replace the centers with a small heart cutout of a different color.
- For other designs, stack two different colored hearts on top of each other. Using the tip of a knife, cut hearts down the middle in zigzag design; unstack hearts.
- Using an offset spatula, place a heart half with another different color half, connecting at cut edges.
- Bake until edges are just browned, 8-10 minutes. Place sheets on wire racks; cool slightly. Transfer cookies to racks; cool completely.