- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound lean boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add beef and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat or until the meat is no longer pink. Remove beef and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute mushrooms until tender. Add the broth, carrots, garlic powder, thyme and remaining pepper; bring to a boil. Add barley and beef. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat, vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
- Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 300 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 782 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
NotesI actually cooked this down a bit more to make it a stew, which allowed the non quick cooking barley I used to absorb more liquid. I also added some chopped roasted Hatch chilies and replaced some of the liquid with some cabernet leftover from dinner party the night before.
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More