- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryCalled “kunde,” this hearty vegetarian stew comes from East Africa. Made with protein-rich black-eyed peas and flavorful, vitamin-A rich tomatoes, served over brown rice and topped with peanuts, it’s a hearty dish that makes a great meal!
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups ready-to-serve canned, hearty tomato soup
- 3 cups cooked brown rice*
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
- Heat oil in a medium, non-stick saucepan. Add onion. Cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Lightly mash peas with a fork. Add peas, tomatoes and soup to onions in saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened to a stew-like consistency. Add water or more soup if too thick.
- Put 3/4 cup rice in each of four bowls. Serve stew over rice. Top with peanuts.
- Tip: Cook rice the night before to save on preparation time.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 450; Total fat 13g; Saturated fat 2g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 680mg; Carbohydrate 69g; Fiber 10g; Protein 14g; Vitamin A 30%DV**; Vitamin C 25%DV; Calcium 10%DV; Iron 20%DV
- **Daily Value
- Per serving, this dish provides from MyPyramid: About 1 cup Vegetable Group,
- 1 1/2 ounce equivalents Grain Group; 2 ounces Meat and Beans Group
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Wamogo Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2015See More
Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce
GRILLED MISO-CITRUS SCALLOP LOLLIPOPS
Chocolate Panna CottaSee More