- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 5 medium potato, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups raw clams with juice
- 2 cups half and half
- Saute bacon until crisp in a large kettle.
- Add onions, potatoes, green pepper, celery, and garlic.
- Add 2 cups water and season with salt, white pepper, Worcestershire, and Tabasco.
- Cover kettle and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate pan, heat the clams in their juice for 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Add clams and juice to kettle, pour in half and half, and heat, stirring, until pipping hot. Do not boil.
NotesHere's the clam chowder I wanted to share last week, but didn't have my cookbook with me at the time. It comes from "San Francisco a la Carte". I made this last night, but with a few changes; omitted the green bell pepper and Tabasco. I also reduced the salt to 1/2 teaspoon. This chowder is quite good, but I expected it to be a little bit thicker. I have alot left over, so I think I'll use the immersion blender to thicken it up and hopefully it will have the texture I'm looking for. It says to use a large kettle, I used a Dutch oven, just a large pot.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More