HEAVENLY COCONUT CAKE
- 2/3 cup softened butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour **
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Coconut
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut -OR- 1/2 cup shredded commercially prepared coconut
- **If you don't have store-bought cake flour, here's the substitute.
- Cake Flour
- Put 2 level tablespoons cornstarch into a measuring cup.
- Fill to 1 cup mark with all purpose flour.
- Sift 3 times. Makes 1 cup cake flour.
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
Grease 3 8" round cake pans.
In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add yolks and cream of coconut; blend well.
Sift together, salt, flour, and baking powder.
Add alternately with milk to above mixture.
Blend well after each addition.
Add vanilla, blend well.
Wash beaters in hot soapy water.
Making sure bowl and beaters are absolutely grease-free, whip the egg whites until stiff.
Fold egg whites and coconut into batter.
Pour into cake pans.
Bake about 30 minutes, toothpick inserted should come out clean.
Frost with Coconut Frosting (recipe to follow).