- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is my husband's chili recipe and he doesn't make it into the kitchen often. But when he does it's almost always awesome!!
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 lb hot sausage meat (loose ground or links w/casings removed)
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat
- 2 bottles (12 oz each) beer (smoked beer ROCKS!)
- 1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes in their juices
- 2-4 TLBS Chili powder
- 1 TBLS whole cumin seeds
- 1 TBLS dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ginger (grated is better than ground)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 C water
- 1 can (15 oz) light kidney beans rinsed & drained
- 1 can (15 oz) dark kidney beans rinsed & drained
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tsp Caribbean style hot pepper sauce (or your favorite hot pepper sauce)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent to golden, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, crumble sausage and cook, stirring often, until sausage looses its pinkness, about 8 minutes, and drain off excess fat.
- Transfer the meat to the pot with the onions, add stew meat and turn heat to low.
- Add the beer (minus a swig for yourself) and the tomatoes with their juices, breaking up the tomatoes with with a knife or your hands.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, ginger, salt and allspice.
- Add the water and simmer, covered, for 1.5 hours.
- Add beans and garlic and simmer until done, about 30 minutes to one hour. Add hot sauce just before serving or put a bottle of hot sauce on the table and let people add their own.
- Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese.
- Serve with warm cornbread.
Berks Catholic PTO Fall 2015 Recipe Auction
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Red Snapper Livornese
Beer Cheese in a Bread BowlSee More