- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 lb hot sausage meat (loose ground or links w/casings removed)
- 1 lb lean beef stew meat
- 2 bottles (12 oz each) beer (smoked beer ROCKS!)
- 1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes in their juices
- 2-4 TLBS Chili powder
- 1 TBLS whole cumin seeds
- 1 TBLS dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ginger (grated is better than ground)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 C water
- 1 can (15 oz) light kidney beans rinsed & drained
- 1 can (15 oz) dark kidney beans rinsed & drained
- 6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tsp Caribbean style hot pepper sauce (or your favorite hot pepper sauce)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent to golden, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, crumble sausage and cook, stirring often, until sausage looses its pinkness, about 8 minutes, and drain off excess fat.
- Transfer the meat to the pot with the onions, add stew meat and turn heat to low.
- Add the beer (minus a swig for yourself) and the tomatoes with their juices, breaking up the tomatoes with with a knife or your hands.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, ginger, salt and allspice.
- Add the water and simmer, covered, for 1.5 hours.
- Add beans and garlic and simmer until done, about 30 minutes to one hour. Add hot sauce just before serving or put a bottle of hot sauce on the table and let people add their own.
- Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese.
- Serve with warm cornbread.
NotesThis is my husband's chili recipe and he doesn't make it into the kitchen often. But when he does it's almost always awesome!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More