- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 lb melted butter
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups flour
- canned poppy seed filling (optional)
- WALNUT FILLING
- 1 lb ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Mix all ingredients together to form a paste.
- Spread with filling.
- Sprinkle with butter; roll into loaves as for a jelly roll; let stand 2 hours.
- Brush with egg white slightly beaten.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk; add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
- Melt butter; add 1/2 and 1/2 cream and beaten egg yolks; add this mixture to the yeast mixture.
- To the combined mixture add salt, 1 tablespoon sugar and flour; mix together, and divide into 4 parts.
- Put in refrigerator overnight.
- Oven at 375ºF.
- Roll each part 1/2 inch thick.
- 16 servings
- 3 hours
- 2¼ hours prep
NotesI think this is Humgarian. At least, it is Slavic. Times do no include overnight refrigeration. The number of servings is a guess. There are 2 fillings here: one is poppy seed from a can, the other is a walnut filling.
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Sharing Christmas with FriendsSee More
Pizzoccheri Alla Valtellinesi
Summer Focaccia Basil SaladSee More