- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 lb melted butter
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups flour
- canned poppy seed filling (optional)
- WALNUT FILLING
- 1 lb ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Mix all ingredients together to form a paste.
- Spread with filling.
- Sprinkle with butter; roll into loaves as for a jelly roll; let stand 2 hours.
- Brush with egg white slightly beaten.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk; add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
- Melt butter; add 1/2 and 1/2 cream and beaten egg yolks; add this mixture to the yeast mixture.
- To the combined mixture add salt, 1 tablespoon sugar and flour; mix together, and divide into 4 parts.
- Put in refrigerator overnight.
- Oven at 375ºF.
- Roll each part 1/2 inch thick.
- 16 servings
- 3 hours
- 2¼ hours prep
NotesI think this is Humgarian. At least, it is Slavic. Times do no include overnight refrigeration. The number of servings is a guess. There are 2 fillings here: one is poppy seed from a can, the other is a walnut filling.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El JefeSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More