HELEN'S CRANBERRY BREAD
- Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes
- Servings: 8-12
- Preparation Time: 3 hours
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups 1% milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 1⁄2 cups of the flour and yeast.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (115-120˚), stirring constantly until the butter almost melts.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry mixture, and add the egg.
- If you are using a stand mixer, beat on low speed for 1⁄2 minute, scraping bowl. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. If mixing by hand, use a flat wooden spoon to mix well.
- By hand, stir in the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Place in lightly oiled or buttered bowl, turning once to grease the whole surface.
- Cover loosely with a towel and let rise in warm place (I usually set it on top of my gas-oven) until it is doubled in size (approximately 1 1⁄2 to 2 hours).
- Punch down the dough, then turn it out out on a floured surface. Cover with the towel and let rest 10 minutes before place the dough in a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with Pam. Let the dough rise until it crests 1 inch above the top of pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F degrees.
- Bake 30-45 minutes until golden brown and hollow sounding.
NotesAnother recipe from the kitchen of my future mother-in-law that was requested by my fiancé. He's always so industrious when he wants me to bake him something of the bread or pie variety. This one is absolutely scrumptious!