- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: one hour
- Preparation Time:
- Basic Chow Mein
- Serves 10 people so double or triple for a lg. crowd
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1 1/2 lb round steak, cut up in small pieces
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 T beef bullion, dissolved in boiling water (1 cup)
- 5 T. cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 c soy sauce
- 2 cans sliced water chestnuts
- 1 lg. can bean sprouts
- 1 lg. can of Chinese veggies
- drained and rinsed in cold water in lg. colander 6 cups of celery chopped up
- 3/4 c. diced green onions
- 1 4 oz size of red pimentos
- 1 lg. can of mushrooms
- Brown beef in oil, salt and pepper, remove beef.
- Saute all veggies about 5 min. ( or if you like until celery is tender)
- I add the cup of beef bullion to the veggies before cooking when tender I add can of pimentos and mushrooms (including juice for flavor) Then add soy sauce cornstarch combo cook briefly until thickens, add meat serve with mixed nuts or Chinese noodles
NotesThis is from my grandma's recipe book, she is 94 years old and I am compiling a blogger to share her recipes and thought I would share them with you.
This recipe we had on holiday's I remember one Christmas this was a request from everyone that she make us her Chow Mein.
She is an amazing woman, caregiver, mother, grandmother and wife.
She worked hard for her church, her patients and her family she always gave.
I am taking care of her right now she has dementia, I want to keep these recipes alive.
These are written in her words and family members words the recipes that is so they are very old fashioned.