- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 red peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 5 Hungarian wax peppers, chopped
- 10 medium or 5 large carrots, chopped
- 2 beets, peeled and chopped
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 10 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ lb cooked, cubed ham
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups cooked butter beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked fava beans, drained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry Textured Vegetable Protein
In a (very) large stockpot, heat oil.
Add onions and begin to brown slowly, when golden add all peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
Add carrots, beets, squash and sweet potatoes, cook a further 10 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high, add plum tomatoes, spices and ham.
Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, stir well to blend. Cook 20 minutes, then reduce heat to low.
Cover and cook 4 hours, until thick and rich. Stir about once every hour and a half.
Uncover pot and cook 1 more hour.
This freezes very well