- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 red peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 5 Hungarian wax peppers, chopped
- 10 medium or 5 large carrots, chopped
- 2 beets, peeled and chopped
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 10 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ lb cooked, cubed ham
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups cooked butter beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked fava beans, drained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry Textured Vegetable Protein
- In a (very) large stockpot, heat oil.
- Add onions and begin to brown slowly, when golden add all peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, beets, squash and sweet potatoes, cook a further 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add plum tomatoes, spices and ham.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well to blend. Cook 20 minutes, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook 4 hours, until thick and rich. Stir about once every hour and a half.
- Uncover pot and cook 1 more hour.
- This freezes very well
NotesThis was something I made up as I went along today, needing to use up a variety of vegetables, meats, and cans. I wound up transferring the ingredients partway through the cooking process to a larger pot, in the process I said “holy Hell this is a lot of chili!” Thus the name was born, along with another treat for my favourite eggchef! Enjoy this long n’ slow stove-cooked treasure!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More