- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 red peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 5 Hungarian wax peppers, chopped
- 10 medium or 5 large carrots, chopped
- 2 beets, peeled and chopped
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 10 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ lb cooked, cubed ham
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups cooked butter beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked fava beans, drained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups dry Textured Vegetable Protein
- In a (very) large stockpot, heat oil.
- Add onions and begin to brown slowly, when golden add all peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, beets, squash and sweet potatoes, cook a further 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add plum tomatoes, spices and ham.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well to blend. Cook 20 minutes, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook 4 hours, until thick and rich. Stir about once every hour and a half.
- Uncover pot and cook 1 more hour.
- This freezes very well
NotesThis was something I made up as I went along today, needing to use up a variety of vegetables, meats, and cans. I wound up transferring the ingredients partway through the cooking process to a larger pot, in the process I said “holy Hell this is a lot of chili!” Thus the name was born, along with another treat for my favourite eggchef! Enjoy this long n’ slow stove-cooked treasure!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More