- Cooking Time: 35 - 45 minutes
- Servings: Approximately 12 -15
- Preparation Time: 15 - 20 minutes
BackstoryThis recipe is a family favorite and has been served countless times. It is a basic white bread recipe that I have experimented with to have the right amount of garlic and herbs. Be careful when you bake it as it's aroma can be smelled for a great distance and people will come from all around to see what smells so good!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons oil or melted butter
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose white flour or bread flour (more or less)
- 1 rounded Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or 2 rounded teaspoons crushed fresh garlic)
- 1 scant Tablespoon active dry yeast (the kind to be mixed with dry ingredients)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Mix in order given in a bread machine or mix by hand. Your dough should not stick to the sides of bowl and not stick to your finger when touched. You don't want it to be too firm as it will be too dry - but if not firm enough it will flatten out when baking ( Add more flour or water if necessary) this recipe makes a 2 pound loaf and can be baked in a bread machine. Use the "Dough Cycle" to form into french bread or other shapes. If mixing by hand, let it rise in mixer bowl or a covered bowl for 15 - 20 minutes in a warm place.
- This will make a nice large round loaf, 2 small loaves, 1 large regular loaf, 1 long loaf, 2 french loaves or 12 hamburger or sandwich buns . Score top of dough and brush with butter. Let rise in warm place (warm oven is good) and bake at 350 degrees until done - 35 - 45 minutes depending on size of loaf (20 minutes for buns). You can tell if it is done by pushing in on the bottom or sides of loaf when turned out of pan and it springs back when touched - be careful not to get burned) Brush with butter again when done. You need to be careful when baking this bread as everyone will come to see what smells so good.
- This bread is easy to serve. All you need to do is butter it as the garlic is already in the bread. It freezes well too so you can always have it on hand for quick spaghetti or lasagna dinners. This also makes a quick mini pizza if you slice lengthwise top with pizza sauce and your favorite toppings and broil. It also makes great pizza crust. You can make salad and soup croutons by cubing in small pieces and baking in a 250 degree oven until dry and slightly toasted.