- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 whole (5 lb.) chicken
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 8 cloves garlic
- bunch of fresh thyme leaves, plus 1 Tbsp. additional fresh chopped thyme
- a sprig of rosemary
- a few sage leaves
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- a little olive oil
- baby yukon gold potatoes whole (or halved if you think they are too big)
- parsnips, cut into 1" chunks or any other veggies of your choosing
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 and place your rack in the lower third of the oven (so that the chicken will basically be cooking in the center of the oven).
- Clean/scrub the baby gold potatoes.
- Add them to the roasting pan with the parsnips and add just a little bit of oil and salt and pepper.
- Toss together.
- Nestle the roasting rack into the pan (you don't need a roasting rack, but I prefer to use one; if you don't have one, make a bed with the vegetables and put the chicken over those).
- Remove the giblets/neck from the cavity of the chicken.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
- Sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper, and then stuff it with the fresh bunch of thyme leaves, lemon, onion, garlic, sage and rosemary.
- Mix the Tbsp. of fresh chopped thyme with the softened butter.
- Carefully pull the skin of the chicken away from the meat and rub the herb butter in between the skin and the meat (you can just put a few globs of the butter in front of the breast and then massage the butter back; be sure to also add a little to the drumsticks/thighs).
- Rub the skin with just a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the roasting rack (or on the vegetables) and roast until the internal temperature reaches 170 (check at the thickest part of the thigh).
- Place the chicken under a foil tent for 10 minutes before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More