HERB AND SPICE COOKIES -GREEK
Herb and Spice Cookies -Greek
- Herbs and Spices To Try:
- Scented Geranium
- Sweet Marjoram
- Lavendar Leaves or Flowers
- Lemon Herbs, like lemon balm, lemon verbena, lemon grass, etc.
- Ground Cloves
- Curry Powder
- Chinese Five-Spice Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Cardamom
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Basic Recipe:
- One stick butter or margarine, room temperature, infused with herb
- One large egg
- One cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- About 2 1/2 cups flour, more or less, depending on humidity.
1. Cream butter, sugar and egg until fluffy and well mixed.
2. Add soda, mix well.
3. Add two cups flour and mix well.
4. Turn out onto floured counter or board, and continue to knead in more flour until dough is workable and no longer sticky.
5. Divide into four balls, and flatten on floured counter.
6. With sharp knife, cut dough into thin wedges and place on cookie sheets.
7. Bake at 375 until set but not brown. Watch carefully!
Choose the sweeter aromatic flowers to use for flavoring the sugar.
Use a clean pint jar with a tight fitting lid, fill the jar about 1/3 full with sugar.
Scatter a handfull of small flowers, florets, or petals into jar.
Cover the flowers with sugar so that the jar is 2/3 full.
Add another handful of flowers, and cover with sugar to fill the jar.
Leave 1/2 inch space on top.
Put lid on the jar and shake well.
Place jar in a cool, dark place for at least 2-3 weeks.
However, it becomes more flavorful with age.
* You may add more sugar to the jar as you use it, it will take on the fragrance of the jar.