- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace (or pinch of nutmet
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (use less if using salted butter)
- 1 cup raisins (plumped)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream together butter and sugar using high speed of electric mixer.
Beat for 3 minutes.
Beat in eggs and molasses.
In a separate bowl, stir together all dry ingredients.
Stir dry ingredients into molasses mixture.
Stir in raisins and nuts.
Line two baking sheets with parchment or silpats.
Divide dough into 2 sections and form two logs of about 14×2 inches.
Brush logs with beaten egg.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Let cool for 15 minutes.
Slice each log at an angle about 2 inches thick. Makes about 16 bars.