- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large jar pickled herring, drained
- 1 cup diced cooked or canned beets
- 2 large apples, cored and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked and diced
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar or to taste
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 12 small canned whole beets, drained
- Combine herring with beets, apples, potatoes, onion and nuts. Toss with sour cream, mayonnaise and sugar. Arrange on a serving platter, place egg slices over top and whole beets around the edges for garnish. Yield 6 servings.
NotesI promissed some of you yesterday that I would share a recipe for herring salad, so folks now you can choose between the Dutch and German herring salads. This recipe I found in our cookbook "The Art of German Cooking," and is eaten as a Vorspeis (appetizer).