- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat or low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate OR 1/4 cup orange juice plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup powdered nonfat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/8 tsp mace
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Place the cabbage in a small bowl and toss it with lemon juice.
- In large measuring cup or medium bowl, combine the yogurt, orange juice concentrate, oil, powdered milk and egg, blending the ingredients well. Stir in the cabbage.
- In large bowl, combine the flours, sesame seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, mace, and ginger, mixing them well.
- Gradually add the cabbage mixture to the flour mixture and mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Place the pan in hot oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Turn the bread out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Note: This can be made with 1 cup of only one type of cabbage but for the sake of color, choose red cabbage.
NotesThis is a great bread to serve with a soup or salad meal. After the first day, it is wonderful toasted. Try it, too, as a sandwich bread.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Simple Homemade Favorites
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Raw “Vodka Sauce”
Memere's Chocolate Chip CookiesSee More