- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a great bread to serve with a soup or salad meal. After the first day, it is wonderful toasted. Try it, too, as a sandwich bread.
- 1/2 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat or low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate OR 1/4 cup orange juice plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup powdered nonfat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/8 tsp mace
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Place the cabbage in a small bowl and toss it with lemon juice.
- In large measuring cup or medium bowl, combine the yogurt, orange juice concentrate, oil, powdered milk and egg, blending the ingredients well. Stir in the cabbage.
- In large bowl, combine the flours, sesame seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, mace, and ginger, mixing them well.
- Gradually add the cabbage mixture to the flour mixture and mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Place the pan in hot oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Turn the bread out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Note: This can be made with 1 cup of only one type of cabbage but for the sake of color, choose red cabbage.
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knifeSee More
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Red Snapper Livornese
Beer Cheese in a Bread BowlSee More