- Cooking Time: 10 min./batch + cooling
- Servings: 24 servings
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, sugar, cocoa, salt, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cookies
NotesAfter I experimented in the kitchen mixing and matching ingredients to come up with a new and different cookie recipe, my fiance proclaimed these the winner! With a little peppermint extract, these cake-like cookies bring a nice close to any meal.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More