- Cooking Time: 3 hrs 25 minutes
- Servings: 36-48 cookies
- Preparation Time: active time 15 minutes
- RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- For the Cookies:
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- For the Icing:
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Few drops food coloring (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat till combined. Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with a mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 3 hours, or till dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. Using 2- or 2 1/2-inch cutters, cut dough into desired holiday shapes, such as hearts, shamrocks, eggs, rabbits, flags, turkeys, pumpkins, or trees. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 7 to 8 minutes, or till edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Remove cookies and cool on a rack.
- FOR THE ICING:
- In a small mixing bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough of the milk to make an icing of piping consistency. If desired, stir in food coloring. Use a pastry bag and writing tip to decorate cookies with icing.
- Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
- Date Added: 01/01/2008
NotesI thought these were a nice addition to the cookies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Halloween Easy Eerie EdiblesSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More