- Cooking Time: 3 hrs 25 minutes
- Servings: 36-48 cookies
- Preparation Time: active time 15 minutes
- RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- For the Cookies:
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- For the Icing:
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Few drops food coloring (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat till combined. Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with a mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 3 hours, or till dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of the dough to a 1/8-inch thickness. Using 2- or 2 1/2-inch cutters, cut dough into desired holiday shapes, such as hearts, shamrocks, eggs, rabbits, flags, turkeys, pumpkins, or trees. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 7 to 8 minutes, or till edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Remove cookies and cool on a rack.
- FOR THE ICING:
- In a small mixing bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough of the milk to make an icing of piping consistency. If desired, stir in food coloring. Use a pastry bag and writing tip to decorate cookies with icing.
- Recipe reprinted by permission of Weldon Owen. All rights reserved.
- Date Added: 01/01/2008
NotesI thought these were a nice addition to the cookies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
The Best Baked Potato SoupSee More