- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup Egg Yolks - This is approximately 3 Large Egg yolks
- 1/4 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper -or- a Dash of Tobasco
- 1 TB freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 12 TB (1 1/2 sticks) Unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- Utilizing a glass bowl, whisk yolks, sugar, salt, cayenne and lemon juice together, until the yolk begin to pale & thicken slightly.
- Place the bowl over barely simmering water and continue whisking until the mixture becomes smooth, creamy and thick enough to leave a clear line in the bottom of the bowl when the whisk is drawn through.
- Do not heat the yolk mixture too much or you will end up with scrambled eggs; the proteins will re-bond with each other if the yolks get too hot.
- Remove from heat and begin adding the butter 1 piece at a time, continuing to whisk until each addition to allow for a slow melt of the butter.
- It is important that the butter be cold, and added in small quantities to allow the yolks time to exercise their emulsifying powers without giving the butter a chance to pool into the bottom and “break” the sauce.
- If your sauce begins to cool to the point that the butter is having difficulty incorporating you can return the bowl briefly to the simmering water to warm the sauce again.
- Place the sauce in a thermal carafe to keep it warm.
- Sauce Mousseline – 1/4 cup Heavy cream whipped stiff folded in to Hollandaise.
- Sauce Maltaise - Orange zest and juice of blood orange - Add 2 TB Orange Juice 1/2 tsp Orange Zest
- Sauce Noisette - Hollandaise made with browned butter (Beurre Noisette). Add 2 oz Browned butter
- Sauce Bavaroise – Heavy cream, horseradish, thyme - 2 TB heavy Cream 1 tsp fresh grated horseradish 1/4 tsp Thyme
- Sauce Anchois - add 1 T. anchovy paste, add to sauce.
- Sauce Câpres - add 2 T. drained refrigerated capers, add to sauce.
- Sauce Chantilly - add 2 T. crème fraîche, add to sauce.
- Sauce Citron - add 2 T. lemon zest to sauce.
- Sauce Divine - in a small sauce pan add 3 T. sherry and reduce by half, then add to Chantilly recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More