- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup warm (105º - 115ºF)water
- 1 package or cake yeast
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 6 cups apple slices, drained
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Scald milk, Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, salt and 1/2 cup butter. Cool to lukewarm. Measure water into large warm bowl. Sprinkle or crumble yeast in and stir until dissolved. Add lukewarm mixture, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter . Cover tightly. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Topping: Combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1 cup flour, cinnamon and 10 tablespoons butter.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured pastry board roll half of dough into 12x9 inch rectangle. Place in 13x9x2 inch greased baking pan. Arrange half of apple slices on dough. Sprinkle with half of topping. Repeat this process with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in warm place for about 45 minutes. Bake at 375ºF for 35 minutes or until done. Drizzle with powdered sugar.
- Smaaklijk Eten!
NotesFirst let me share a couple of Dutch tidbits - The first governor of than Nieuw Amsterdam (present day New York)was Peter Stuyvezandt, who later became the governor of the Nederlandse Antillen (Netherlands Antilles). Dutch influence in North America started in 1609. In North America there are more than 17 million descendants of the Dutch. The Dutch heritage is celebrated throughout the USA - Tulip Festivals are held in May in Albany, New York; Holland, Michigan; Pella and Orange City,Iowa; Long Beach, California has its Holland Festival; Oak Harbor, Washington celebrates "Holland Happening" each April. In July Cedar Grove, Wisconsin, schedules "Holland Days."
This recipe we found in "Dutch Treats" by Carol Van Kloppenburg
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More