- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 10 large ripe tomatoes (about five pounds), peeled and coarsely chopped (see Note)
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- Wrap the pickling spices in a square of rinsed cheesecloth.
- Place the tomatoes in a large pot along with the pickling spices, onions, celery, vinegar, cloves, and ginger.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the brown sugar and cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring often, until the ketchup thickens.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Remove the bag of pickling spices.
- Puree the ketchup in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Strain through a wire sieve to remove the seeds.
- Return the strained puree to the pot and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour into a container and refrigerate.
- makes about 4 cups
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
The Italian Exchange
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More