HOME MADE CATSUP
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
- 10 large ripe tomatoes (about five pounds), peeled and coarsely chopped (see Note)
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
Wrap the pickling spices in a square of rinsed cheesecloth.
Place the tomatoes in a large pot along with the pickling spices, onions, celery, vinegar, cloves, and ginger.
Bring to a boil and cook for 1 hour.
Add the brown sugar and cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring often, until the ketchup thickens.
Season to taste with salt.
Remove the bag of pickling spices.
Puree the ketchup in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
Strain through a wire sieve to remove the seeds.
Return the strained puree to the pot and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
Pour into a container and refrigerate.
makes about 4 cups