- Cooking Time: 75
- Preparation Time:
- To make the stock - no need to peel these veggies
- 1-2 leeks, washed & chopped
- 1-2 parsnips, washed & chopped
- 2-3 carrots, washed & chopped
- 1 onion, washed & chopped, remove the skin
- 2-3 stalks Celery - washed & chopped
- 1 whole chicken
- thyme, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Put all into a large pot. Cover with water.
- Place lid on pan. Bring to a boil. Simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Next, after the simmering, skim the skin off the top of the water.
- Leaving the lid off the pot, simmer 1 hour more.
- Take the chicken out of the pot. When cool enough to handle, separate legs & shred the chicken. Put the whole chicken back into the pot. Do not put in the pot what was shredded. Cook one hour more.
- Strain (KEEPING THE LIQUID - THIS IS YOUR STOCK FOR THE SOUP) Discard all bones & vegetables.
- Place into an empty pan; cut nicely, and peeled: this is to make the soup::
- 1 Carrot
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 onion
- 1-2 C pasta
- Add stock back that you had strained as well as thyme, salt, pepper & pasta.
- Cook 10 minutes. Add 1/2 C shredded chicken.
- Reduce the stock to enhance flavor, opt.
- Bring stock base to a boil on the stove & serve.
NotesThis came off of PBS a few years back - I recall the person making the recipe said you didn't need to chop the vegetables nicely OR peel them - and the host working with the viewer said she liked cooking with him! (or her)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Fun appetizers and snacks
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More