- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 quarts milk, either skim or whole
- 1 pint cream optional
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (1/4 cup lemon juice if omitting the cream)
- Put milk and cream if using it into a pot and slowly bring to a temperature just below the boil.
- Stir from time to time. The milk will start to foam and sweat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- You should notice the tiny particles of white protein starting to coagulate.
- Let sit for an hour or two.
- Pour into a colander lined with fine cheesecloth and placed over a pot.
- Allow to drain.
- When cool tie the four corner of the cheesecloth into a knot and hang to drain for a few hours.
- You can add a little cream to give a richer moister flavor along with a pinch of salt, herbs or other flavorings.
- Save the liquid which is like buttermilk to use for cakes, pancakes, or in soups and sauces.
NotesRicotta is a very easy cheese to make at home. In the old country it is made with whey which is a by-product of cheesemaking. It takes a lot of whey to make a cup of ricotta but it is easy to make it from milk, either skim, regular or regular milk with a cream added.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More