- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 3 hours
- 2 Pound Pork Butt cooked and shredded (Can substitute chicken or beef)
- Corn husks soaked in hot water
- 1-1/3 cups shortening or lard
- 4 cups Masa
- 4 cups beef broth or water - lukewarm
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Leave as is or add additional spices as desired
- Sprinkle shredded pork with your favorite mexican spices. Cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder,and nutmeg are my suggestions.
- Soak corn husks in hot water.
- Whip shortening for several minutes on high speed. Add salt and baking powder. Alternate Masa and broth on low speed until all is incorporated.
- Make your tamales and steam for one hour.
- See video below to see how to cook the pork butt and how to construct a tamale. Or deconstruct in some cases...
NotesVery few restaurants make tamales by hand. They have a machine that extrudes the. Perfect little fingerlings everytime. I want something a little bigger and more filling.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More