HOME MADE TAMALES
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 3 hours
- 2 Pound Pork Butt cooked and shredded (Can substitute chicken or beef)
- Corn husks soaked in hot water
- 1-1/3 cups shortening or lard
- 4 cups Masa
- 4 cups beef broth or water - lukewarm
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Leave as is or add additional spices as desired
Sprinkle shredded pork with your favorite mexican spices. Cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder,and nutmeg are my suggestions.
Soak corn husks in hot water.
Whip shortening for several minutes on high speed. Add salt and baking powder. Alternate Masa and broth on low speed until all is incorporated.
Make your tamales and steam for one hour.
See video below to see how to cook the pork butt and how to construct a tamale. Or deconstruct in some cases...