- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups espresso (I used instant)
- 4 TB instant espresso powder
- 3 cups vodka
- 3 cups dark rum
- 3 TB vanilla extract
- 8oz piloncillo (or brown sugar if you don't have access to piloncillo
- In a small saucepan, combine the white sugar and water. While stirring, bring to a boil. Continue to stir and boil until it begins to thicken and caramelize (this could take several minutes). Combine hot espresso, the espresso powder and the caramelized simple syrup. Stir.
- If the espresso isn't hot, don't reheat it....just pour in the caramelized simple syrup anyway. It'll harden instantly
- And will look all pretty in a weird sort of way...and it might concern you. But don't worry. Drop it back in and it will slowly dissolve.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, including the solid hard mass of piloncillo. It too will melt. In time.
- Just stir occasionally and check on it. Not because it needs to be checked on, but it goes through a pretty cool transformation.
- Once everything has melted all together, pour your newly made coffee liqueur in your beautiful bottles. Tie a bow around the neck and you have yourself one impressive, sure to please holiday gift.
NotesIf you're not a vodka fan, replace it with more rum
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook 2014
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free MamaSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More