- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups espresso (I used instant)
- 4 TB instant espresso powder
- 3 cups vodka
- 3 cups dark rum
- 3 TB vanilla extract
- 8oz piloncillo (or brown sugar if you don't have access to piloncillo
- In a small saucepan, combine the white sugar and water. While stirring, bring to a boil. Continue to stir and boil until it begins to thicken and caramelize (this could take several minutes). Combine hot espresso, the espresso powder and the caramelized simple syrup. Stir.
- If the espresso isn't hot, don't reheat it....just pour in the caramelized simple syrup anyway. It'll harden instantly
- And will look all pretty in a weird sort of way...and it might concern you. But don't worry. Drop it back in and it will slowly dissolve.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, including the solid hard mass of piloncillo. It too will melt. In time.
- Just stir occasionally and check on it. Not because it needs to be checked on, but it goes through a pretty cool transformation.
- Once everything has melted all together, pour your newly made coffee liqueur in your beautiful bottles. Tie a bow around the neck and you have yourself one impressive, sure to please holiday gift.
NotesIf you're not a vodka fan, replace it with more rum
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More