- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups of Harina de Maiz Blanco or Masa Harina
- (this can be found in the Mexican section of most grocery stores)
- Pour the water into a medium bowl and add the salt.
- Very S-L-O-W-L-Y add the Harina, stirring occaisionally to allow it time to absorb the water.
- Mix/Knead with your hands to form a large ball.
- Begin to heat the skillet over medium heat.
- Break off a piece and form into a ball the size of a large walnut.
- Cover tortilla press with plastic. Place ball on plastic. Fold plastic over top of ball. Close tortilla press to flatte ball.
- Open press. Peel back top layer of plastic. Lift the tortilla using the plastic and turn over onto your hand. Slowly peel back plastic.
- Flip the tortilla over onto your skillet. Cook for about 30-45 seconds before flipping. Cook another 30-45 seconds. Use a spatula to transfer tortilla to a plate where you will stack your completed tortillas.
- Repeat from step 5 until you have used all of our tortilla dough.
- Use your homemade tortillas to make quesodillas or my "Homemade Green Enchiladas"
NotesOnce you try homemade corn tortillas, you'll never go back to storebought. I use a tortilla press that my very thoughtful husband bought for me on our honeymoon in Mexico. If you don't have a tortilla press, you could probably press your tortillas by laying the plastic on your counter, laying a ball of dough at one end, folding the plastic back over and pressing flat with a large book or smooth cutting board (don't use a textured one or your totillas will look funny).
1 large freezer bag, cut down the side seams to make a large rectangle of plastic
1 Tortilla press
1 small skillet
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More