- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 7 1/2 cups water
- 2 2/3 cups instant powdered milk or 1 3/4 cups non-instant powdered milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix water and dry milk until completely dissolved. Stir in buttermilk.
- Cover with waxed paper and clean towel.
- Let stand at room temperature until clabbered, about 8 hours.
- Pour into large, heavy saucepan.
- Cook over very low heat for 1 hour until curd is firm enough to hold its shape when pressed gently between the fingers.
- Pour mixture into strainer lined with single thickness of cheesecloth. Rinse with cold water.
- Put cheese in bowl and add the 1/2 teaspoon salt, mixing gently.
- Cover and chill before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Makes 2 cups.
- Note: For moister cottage cheese, add 1/2 cup buttermilk or cream before chilling
NotesMy Granny Clouse use to make big batches of cheese from the cow & goats we'd milk. It was so good. This is more up to date
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Jean’s Recipe File
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More