HOMEMADE GERMAN CAKE FROSTING
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Servings: Approximately 12 -15
- Preparation Time: 15 - 20 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup half and half (or canned milk)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups shredded or flaked coconut
- ½ to 1 cup chopped pecan nuts
- Stir sugar, half and half, egg yolks and butter together in medium sized sauce pan. Boil for about 5 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and let mixture cool. (If you are in a hurry, you can set pan in cold water and stir occasionally until lukewarm). Add vanilla, coconut, and pecans and stir.
- Spread on top and between layers of cake and enjoy!
NotesThis recipe came from my husbands Grandmother and has been a favorite of our whole family for many years. It is easy to make and tastes much better than the "canned" variety and there are no preservatives or additives.