- Cooking Time: 15-18 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 90 minutes to 2 hours
- 1 cup warm water (115 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten (room temperature)
- 1 envelope (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour
- Reynolds® Parchment Paper
- Line baking pans with Reynolds® Parchment Paper.
- Combine water, oil, powdered milk, sugar, egg, yeast and one cup flour in large mixing bowl. With paddle attachment, beat mixture for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the flour and, using the dough hook, knead the dough for about 5 minutes. The dough should make a ball and “clean” the sides of the bowl. If it looks too sticky, add a bit more flour, a tablespoon at a time.
- Place the dough in a large, oiled bowl and cover with a clean towel. Allow the dough to rise in a draft-free, warm area until it has doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and let it rest for 5 minutes. On a floured surface, divide the dough into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and flatten slightly, to make a bun shape. Place buns on baking pans lined with Reynolds® Parchment Paper. Allow buns to rise for 30-35 minutes.
- Gently brush the top of each bun with melted butter. At this time, you can sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or a bit of finely chopped onion if desired.
- Bake buns in 350 degree F. oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
NotesDon’t you just love it when people look at you askance when you admit to having made something from scratch? Well, imagine the looks you will get when you tell them that your hamburger buns (yes, you heard right, hamburger buns!) were made from scratch.
Intimidated by yeast? No knead to be (sorry, I couldn’t resist) ----just remember to keep your liquids warm (not hot) and your yeast fresh.
I combined several recipes to come up with this one. You can use a bread machine, knead the dough yourself, or, like me, use a stand mixer with a dough hook. The result is amazing---you won’t go back to the supermarket for hamburger buns again!