HOMEMADE NUTTER BUTTER COOKIES
- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 25
- For the cookie dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pound (4 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter, preferably Skippy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- For the filling:
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, preferably Skippy
- 3 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar.
- For cookie dough: preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside. Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and peanut butter. Add sugars and beat at medium speed for 4 minutes, scraping down bowl twice.
- At low speed, add eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until well mixed, frequently scraping down bowl. Add oats, and mix well. (Erin’s Note: Very important! Chill the batter for up to one hour before baking).
- Using an ice cream scoop 2 inches in diameter, place balls of dough on parchment-lined baking sheets at least three inches apart. Bake until cookies have spread and turned very light golden brown, about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool and firm up, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely before filling.
- For filling: using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar until very smooth.
- To assemble cookies, spread a thick layer on underside of a cookie. Sandwich with another cookie. Repeat.
NotesAs an unabashed peanut butter addict who frequently can be caught eating spoonfuls of the sweet and salty goop directly from the jar I am by default also a fan of Nutter Butter cookies. This recipe caught my eye quite some time ago and I found it yesterday while browsing through my extensive collection of recipes that I’ve saved on delicious.