- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups soymilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TB apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB lemon juice
- Bring the soymilk to a boil, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. While that's going on, combine the water, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 of the water mixture. Stir vigorously about 5 or 6 times. Add the remaining water mixture and stir gently, in a figure 8 fashion until curds begin to form.
- Cover with a lid and let sit for 15 minutes. This is when you'll see the full separation.
- Line a strainer with a cotton cloth and place over a bowl.
- With a large slotted spoon, remove the curds and place them into the lined strainer. Fold the cloth over the curds and place a plate (for even distribution) over the cloth and press until most of the liquid is gone. Place a heavy object on top to get the remaining liquid out. This should take a few minutes. The less liquid remaining will create a more firm tofu.
- I ended up with a very soft tofu. I think it is from a couple of things. One...I had a very small curd formation (Now from what I've read, the size of the curd will vary depending on the protein content of your soymilk). Two...I couldn't get anymore liquid out of my curds.
- At this point you can place the tofu in a bowl of cold water and gently run cold water into the bowl (not allowing the water to run directly onto the tofu) for several minutes. This is suppose to make the tofu set up. I found that my tofu was just too soft to undergo this process and was dissipating into the water so I stopped.
- To store your tofu, you need to cover it with cold water and refrigerate.
NotesI was given a container and soymilk and since April is National Soy Foods Month, I thought it would be fun to make tofu. Quick and easy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Rainbows Of Vegan Love
Home cookingSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More