- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2tblsp butter
- 3/4c FINELY chopped onion
- 1/2c FINELY chopped celery
- 1/2c FINELY chopped carrots
- 3-4 cloves garlic, MINCED
- 1/4tsp crushed bay leaf
- 1/2c tomato paste
- 2tblsp flour
- 2c cooked, chopped, peeled and seeded tomatoes, any variety
- 3c chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/3c heavy cream
- Salt and Black pepper
- 2-4tblsp sugar
- 1-3tblsp balsamic or cider vinegar
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and bay, and sauté til onions are soft and translucent. Add tomato paste and heat through, stirring well. Add flour, blend well and cook for a minute. Add tomatoes and stir thoroughly. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-30min. Add cream, blend and cook for an add'l 3min. Add sugar and vinegar to soup a spoon at a time, blending well and tasting after each, to balance the acidity as needed. Remove from heat.
- If you like a smooth soup, use an immersion blender to puree right in the pan. Otherwise, season to taste with salt & pepper, and serve rustic with crusty bread, crackers or, better yet, grilled gruyére & prosciutto sammies on fresh sourdough!
NotesThis is an adaptation of one of Emeril's recipes, and I go one better by using my OWN canned tomatoes that I put by every summer! It's a fabtastic way to enjoy a big bowl of Summer on a cold Winter day!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
NFPG Recipe Collection
My Family CookbookSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More