- Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryMy daughter and my husband have both become vegetarians. While I'm still a carnivore, I've decided that I can have it both ways. These homemade veggie burgers are 100% more tasty than the ones you find in the store.
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil for frying
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet corn
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 oz) can ready-to-serve lentil soup
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Turn down the heat to medium, and add the onions and peppers, then saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, corn, and garlic, then continue to cook until the mushrooms are softened and browned, 5-6 minutes. Stir in the corn. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Reserve skillet for sauteing the burgers.
- While the vegetables are cooking, place the black beans in a large bowl and mash slightly with a fork. Stir in the can of lentil soup and the beaten eggs. Add the vegetables and the spinach and stir to combine.
- Combine the oatmeal, breadcrumbs, and seasonings in a medium bowl. Add to the lentil and bean mixture, mixing well.
- To form the patties, line a custard cup with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang and fill with the bean mixture. Carefully pull the bean mixture out of the custard cup and fold the plastic wrap over the top to form into a patty. Repeat until 12 patties are formed, leaving wrapped in the plastic until ready to cook (you may freeze the patties at this point).
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat over medium high heat. Unwrap 2-3 bean patties and carefully add to the heated skillet. Reduce the heat to medium low and fry for about 5 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through. Repeat for the remaining burgers, adding additional oil to the skillet, if needed.
- If using frozen patties, cover the pan to speed up the cooking time.