- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 1/2 cups (12 1/4 ounces) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 4 cups (1 pound) white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) vegetable oil
- To make the mix:
- Grind the oats in a food processor until they're finely chopped, but not a powder.
- Put the ground oats, flours and remaining dry ingredients into the bowl of a mixer with a paddle.
- Mix on slow speed, and drizzle vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is running.
- When all the oil has been added, stop the mixer and squeeze a clump of mix in your hand. If it holds together, it's just right. If it won't hold together, stir in 1 tablespoon of oil at a time until the consistency is correct.
- Store in an airtight container indefinitely in the freezer.
- To make the pancakes:
- Whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup buttermilk (or you may use 1/2 cup plain yogurt plus 1/2 cup milk), 1 tablespoon orange juice (said to reduce the tannic tastes from the whole wheat) and 1 large egg.
- Let the batter stand for at least 15 minutes before cooking (it will thicken as it stands).
- Heat a nonstick griddle if you have one, or a heavy
- skillet, preferably cast iron.
- If your surface is not nonstick, brush it lightly with vegetable oil.
- When the surface of your pan is hot enough that a drop of water sputters across it, give the pan a quick swipe with a paper towel to remove excess oil and spoon the batter onto the hot surface, 1/4-cupful at a time.
- After 3 to 4 minutes, when the surface of the cake is no longer shiny and small bubbles are beginning to form around the edges, it's time to flip the cake.
- Cook other side until it's browned, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Yield: 10 cups dry mix; a batch using 1 cup of mix will make about 10 (3 1/2-inch) pancakes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Simple Homemade Favorites
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More