- Cooking Time: 20-30 min
- Preparation Time: 5 min
- 3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples (make sure you use a good cooking apple like Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji, Jonathan, McIntosh, or Gravenstein)
- 4 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
- Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- Up to 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher.
- Ready to serve, either hot or refrigerated. Delicious with vanilla ice cream or vanilla yogurt.
- Freezes easily, lasts up to one year in a cold freezer.
NotesFor the longest time, I've been looking for a good recipe for homemade applesauce, one that wasn't too sweet. Turned out Elise's was the best - I used Granny Smith apples and the least possible sugar.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More