- Cooking Time: 20-30 min
- Preparation Time: 5 min
- 3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples (make sure you use a good cooking apple like Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji, Jonathan, McIntosh, or Gravenstein)
- 4 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
- Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- Up to 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher.
- Ready to serve, either hot or refrigerated. Delicious with vanilla ice cream or vanilla yogurt.
- Freezes easily, lasts up to one year in a cold freezer.
NotesFor the longest time, I've been looking for a good recipe for homemade applesauce, one that wasn't too sweet. Turned out Elise's was the best - I used Granny Smith apples and the least possible sugar.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More