- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 45
- 4 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp sherry (I don't own "cooking sherry" so I used some fruit syrup - cherry in this case, the internet said apple cider would sub good too).
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds, ground (they come in a pod you break open!)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, ground
- A chicken (go for free range, veg fed, organic if you want) cut up
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 390
- Warm the honey, stir in the sherry(or whatever), cardamom and peppercorns
- Place marinade and chicken in a large bowl (or bag), coat chicken and let sit at room temp for about 30min to an hour. (IMPORTANT, chicken should be room temp when you coat - otherwize honey mixture will harden and be hard to coat. It happened with me - I added some water and then, when baking, melted the honey "candy" in the bottom of the cast iron pan I baked the chicken in.
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan at medium high heat. (I used a separate pan to sear the chicken then placed chicken in cast iron pan)
- Sear the chicken, skin side down, until golden
- Place lemon slices in the roasting pan (cast iron skillet)
- Lay the chicken pieces on top.
- Brush with the marinade.
- Season generously ith salt and pepper (I forgot to do this, it was still great)
- Place in the oven and bake until done (I did another 45 minutes)
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 min before serving
- Pour out drippings into gravy boat for gravy (if desired).
- PS I find you've done this to skinless boneless breast of chicken I will hunt you down
NotesSimply Recipes... I got fresh Honey from Stacy McKenna Seip (and Eain) for Christmas and looked for recipes with honey. I was skeptical at first. I'm not a sweets and meat kinda person. And I love basic chicken so... as I say, skeptical. BUT... it's really really good.