- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 5 cups
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe lime is a surprising flavor enhancer and if used sparingly, doesn't over power the delicate flavors of the honey dew melon. This ice cream is refreshing and subtle in it's richness making you want to savor each bite before digging in for more.
- 2 cups chopped honey dew
- juice from 1 lime (or 2 if your lime isn’t “juicy”)
- 2 ¼ cup whipping cream
- ⅔ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- Zest from one lime
- In a food processor or blender, puree the honey dew and lime juice.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the cream, sugar and salt until sugar dissolves.
- Pour honey dew mixture into cream mixture. Add the half of the lime zest and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours or over night. The longer you chill it, the creamier your ice cream will be (says Alton Brown).
- Taste your mixture. Add a bit more lime zest if desired. Save the rest to garnish.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and process according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- Garnish with lime zest and chunks of honey dew if desired and enjoy.