- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 3 loaves
- Preparation Time: about 180 minutes
- 1 c. warm water (about 110 degrees)
- 4 1/2 t. yeast or two pkgs. of regular yeast (not Rapid Rise)
- 1 T. honey
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1 1/2 T. salt
- 2 c. milk
- 5 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. ground flax seed
- 1/2 c. wheat germ
- 1 1/2 to 3 c. of bread flour (not all flour will be used)
- oil for greasing
- In bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, yeast and 1 T. honey. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine butter, 1/3 c. honey and 1 1/2 T. salt.
- Heat in microwave until butter is melted.
- Add milk to butter/honey mixture.
- Add milk/honey mixture to yeast mixture.
- Using the paddle attachment, add 1 c. flour at a time until well mixed.
- Add ground flax seed and wheat germ.
- Divide dough in half. (Most stand mixers are too small to knead all the dough)
- Place half of the dough in a bowl and set aside.
- Leave the remaining half in mixer bowl.
- Switch to dough hook.
- Add bread flour 1/2 c. at a time until dough no longer sticks to bottom of bowl.
- Knead 8 min. adding bread flour if needed.
- Take out dough out of mixer bowl and add the dough that was set aside.
- Repeat steps 12 and 13 with this half of dough.
- Knead both halves together on the countertop until one mass, about 30 sec.
- Place dough in greased bowl.
- Rub oil on top of dough, cover with a clean dish towel.
- Place in a warm place until doubled in size, from 45 min. to an hour
- Punch down
- Divide into 3 equal pieces
- Shape into loaves
- Place in greased loaf pans
- Place in warm place until doubled in size, from 45 min. to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Bake for 35 min. or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks for 10 to 15 min.
- Remove from the loaf pans.
NotesThis is a staple at my house. I make this bread weekly for my family instead of buying bread at the store.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Adventures in CookingSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More