- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Place 1 cup oats in large bowl, pour boiling water over oats and let stand 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water and let stand 5 minutes.
- To the oat mixture, add the honey, butter, salt and yeast mixture.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon. Stir in enough flour to handle dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead 2 minutes, cover and let rest for 10 min.
- Knead 12-15 strokes.
- Dough will still be sticky.
- Add flour a little at a time until easy to handle. Place dough in a greased bowl and turn to grease surface of dough.
- Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape into loaf and place into greased pans.
- Cover and let rise 30 min or so.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with oats.
- Bake 350 degrees for 45 min.
- You can also form round loaves and bake on a stone for same amount of time.
NotesThank you, Kristin, for sharing your picture of the bread!
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More