- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Place 1 cup oats in large bowl, pour boiling water over oats and let stand 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup warm water and let stand 5 minutes.
- To the oat mixture, add the honey, butter, salt and yeast mixture.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon. Stir in enough flour to handle dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead 2 minutes, cover and let rest for 10 min.
- Knead 12-15 strokes.
- Dough will still be sticky.
- Add flour a little at a time until easy to handle. Place dough in a greased bowl and turn to grease surface of dough.
- Cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape into loaf and place into greased pans.
- Cover and let rise 30 min or so.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with oats.
- Bake 350 degrees for 45 min.
- You can also form round loaves and bake on a stone for same amount of time.
NotesThank you, Kristin, for sharing your picture of the bread!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More