HONEY TEA CAKE
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cups of brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of honey (the melted kind)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 3/4 cup of light cooking oil
- 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup cool black tea (mother says to use Darjeeling, but I'm sure you could experiment with all kinds of yummy teas!)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup of nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Oil and line the pans with wax paper.
Beat eggs. Add the suger, honey, baking powder and soda, salt, ginger, and the oil. Stir until mixed, then slowly add the flour. Alternate with the tea. Add the vanilla and the nuts, if so desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour (check often!)
Optional: put a little bit of the mixture into the pans, and then line the bottom with some flaked or chopped walnuts, then add the rest of the mixture.
Makes 2 loaves